Beko showcases eco-friendly appliances that use recycled materials, bio-composites and detergent-saving technologies for a sustainable lifestyle
Beko, the leading household appliance brand in Europe, believes that humans and the planet are interconnected. To raise awareness of Beko’s sustainable development mission, the brand today organized a virtual showcase of its ecological devices with ArÃ§elik CEO Hakan Bulgurlu, CMO Zeynep YalÄ±m Uzun and CCO RagÄ±p BalcÄ±oÄlu and with a special guest from the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Brendan Edgerton, Director of Circular Economy.
At the launch, Beko unveiled seven sustainable products, including a washer / dryer, oven, tumble dryer, refrigerator, espresso maker and dishwasher to help consumers reduce their impact on the environment. Innovative products use recycled materials such as PET bottles, fishing nets; bio-composites such as coffee residue and eggshells; as well as detergent-saving technologies for a sustainable lifestyle.
At the event, Beko shared a European-wide survey of people’s attitudes and concerns about sustainability. His results show that the vast majority of Europeans (UK 88%, IT 88%, ES 87%, DE 84%, FR 78%, PL 74%) in the six countries surveyed said they felt it was theirs. personal responsibility to make a difference by minimizing waste, water and energy consumption in their daily lives. The number of people who think it is due to others, such as government or businesses, or who think they cannot tell the difference, is negligible.
Recycling is proving to be the most popular activity related to sustainability that people do at home. Interestingly, this activity scores significantly higher in the UK market at 84% compared to all others, with Italy closest with 78% and Germany in last place with 66%.
When asked what else they could do to protect the planet, respondents ranked in order of efficiency, buy sustainable products, tackle food waste, reduce air travel and eat less. meat. The main obstacle to a more sustainable lifestyle at home turns out to be the perception of high prices for sustainable products in all countries.
Price is the determining factor when buying a household appliance, followed by longevity and respect for the environment, despite most respondents (IT 88%, ES 86%, FR 85%, PL 84% , UK 77%, DE 75%) agreeing on the importance of purchasing sustainable household appliances that have a significant positive impact on our planet.
Hakan Bulgurlu, CEO of ArÃ§elik, said: âOur sustainability goals and our leading innovation efforts are two big parts of the same whole. Their development depends on each other. It’s up to us to find better, more environmentally friendly ways to lead our lives. With a series of environmentally friendly Beko devices, customers can now fully equip a sustainable home.
ArÃ§elik’s Marketing Director, Zeynep YalÄ±m Uzun, added: âThe aim of the Beko brand is to enable future generations to live healthier lives, which is only possible by living in a more sustainable way. and working for a healthier planet. Everything we do and every product we use has an impact on nature. So, beyond this portfolio of seven products, we are eager to adapt our existing technologies to make all our devices also more environmentally friendly. For Beko, this is just the start.
âAt Beko, we are passionate about democratizing technology, making it affordable and ensuring that as many people as possible have access to it. By making sustainability a business model and integrating it into everything we do, we strive to reduce human environmental damage by developing high performance, durable, affordable and environmentally friendly home appliances, âsaid RagÄ±p BalcÄ±oÄlu, CCO of ArÃ§elik.
âWe need to protect and preserve the environment for future generations and now, more than ever, we need to act and make changes in this direction. Beko has taken this step and we are proud to offer Romanian customers access to revolutionary products that will help them lead sustainable lives. We actively support the group’s mission of sustainable development and have integrated this component as an essential part of our business model, and the production unit of Ulmi, the only 4.0 factory in Romania, represents our commitment in this direction â said Murat BÃ¼yÃ¼kerk, Chief Arctic Executive Officer.
Products with recycled materials for the planet:
EcoTub washing machine and washer-dryer *
- Plastic waste transformed into a valuable alternative raw material
- Approximately 60 recycled 0.5L PET bottles used in washing machine and washer-dryer tubs on some models
- Recycled PET flakes used with other plastics and additives with no effect on the efficient performance of the tank
- First example in the world of this type of application in household appliances
- This new eco-friendly manufacturing method dramatically reduces carbon dioxide emissions
- Since the start of this project in 2017, 58 million plastic bottles have been recycled, reducing CO2 emissions by nearly 2,200 tonnes.
- A sustainable material made from recycled fishnet waste and industrial yarn waste
- 5% recycled fishnet waste and 65% industrial yarn waste used in plastic parts such as door decoration plastic and display cover
- 50% of the BI oven inner screen cover made from industrial yarn waste
GreenDry tumble dryer
- Uses recycled plastic in 15% of its plastic parts on average, including in the water tank housing and back cover
- In the past two years, 2,420 tonnes of plastic have been recycled for this cause.
Products with bio-composites for the planet:
- Sustainable components made from bio-based plastics
- Egg trays made from eggshell waste and bioplastics
- The two egg trays ** in each refrigerator contain eggshell waste from 5 eggs.
- The fan cover is made of 100% bio-based plastic (33gr) from sustainable resources such as corn starch or sugar cane
- The door seal is made from 25% biobased materials (soybean oil) (195 gr).
BioCoffee espresso machine
- Developed with bio-composite technology
- Each espresso machine is made up of five cups of coffee residue, reducing the carbon footprint by 5% in bio-composite parts
Product that reduces chemicals:
Automatic dose dishwasher
- AutoDose dispenses the right amount of detergent for sparkling clean dishes every time
- Every wash, up to 28% **** less detergent used with Autodose for a healthy life on a healthy planet
* The products currently available in ÃayÄ±rova washing machine factory are 8-9-10 kg 1400-1600 rpm WM and 8 / 5kg & 10/6 kg WD. The aim is to extend the use of PET to other factories.
** The number of egg trays may change depending on the model
*** For lightly soiled dishes and the use of gel detergent